Sunday, March 22, 2009

My Only Sunshine

Well, a while back Lily was given a Christening dress. A friend of my Mother-in-law saw it at the church thrift store she works at. It was new with the tags still on it and she was thoughtful enough to save it for Lily. At the time it was too big for her and not quite our style, but she suggested I keep it anyway and just cut it off for Lily to wear this summer. Well, I don't have much (*any*) experience altering clothes, but I figured this would be a good project to start off with (it was free...lol). Unfortunately, I didn't think to take a "before" picture until after I started cutting things off, so in the picture below, I tried to just lay the sleeves and the bottom ruffle where they originally were. Basically, I removed the sleeves, shortened it, and dyed it orange. It's a little longer than I meant for it to be, but my model wouldn't really cooperate. I think it came out pretty cute, especially for a first attempt at alteration. What do you think??? What creative project are you most proud of? What would you like to be good at?


8 comments:

Kristen said...

It's super cute!!!! I'm impressed!

Clare said...

Wow that's awesome! You did a great job on it. I like the soft sherberty orange color. Your model wasn't cooperative, but she made up for it in cuteness. :)

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=170402.0

I want to try this alteration one day. I think you should too. :)

Clare said...

Oh yeah, the matching bow is super cute too. Did you dye it with the dress?

Erika said...

No, I didn't dye it with the dress. I have a huge stockpile of ribbon, so I actually already had it. The other side of this particular ribbon is white with orange polka dots!

Stacy Hutchinson said...

Very good work. I would have never thought of dying the dress. It's a great color! I love eyelet material.

Jamie Hamilton said...

Clare said exactly what I was going to say - Lily might not have been cooperative but she sure is CUTE! That girl is very photogenic. :)
That dress looks way cute!
Right now, I'm attempting to make this little skirt:
http://www.oliverands.com/blog/
It's on the right side, under "free patterns: lazy days skirt"

Holly said...

I haven't done any alterations. That's a good idea; especially is someone gives you something for free and it's not exactly your taste.

Right now I'm working on a little apron from a pattern. My next project is a busy book for church. I saw one last sunday that a lady in our ward made, and it was super super cute. I'm hoping to get it finished before our trip on the 1st because it will be good for the plane ride.

Gabby said...

It turned out super cute and it doesnt look like the same dress at all! Good job Auntie Erika! By the way, your model is way too adorable.